Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fixing my dysfunctional relationship with food

I have dysfunctional relationship with food. I will take two baby steps to adjust my diet.

First, I will eat frequent mini meals. I will eat twice as often, half as much and chew twice as long.

Second, I plan to take a take an 80-20 approach and have a daily goal to eat natural food 80% of the time.

By natural I mean to eat food in as close to it's natural state as I can. I will find the stuff that spoils. I will buy plain yogurt and flavor it at home with honey or fresh fruit. If I buy turkey and other meats at the deli counter, I will ask for brands free of fillers and nitrates. I will replace refined breads and pastas made from white flour with ones made from whole grains.

Apples
1st Choice (Natural State): Apple
2nd Choice (Somewhat Processed): Applesauce

Oranges
1st Choice (Natural State): Orange
2nd Choice (Somewhat Processed): 100% orange juice

Soup
1st Choice (Natural State): Soup from scratch
2nd Choice (Somewhat Processed): Canned soup
Limit (Highly Processed): Dehydrated soup mix

Ham
1st Choice (Natural State): Heritage ham
2nd Choice (Somewhat Processed): Deli ham
Limit (Highly Processed): Packaged deli bologna

Beef
1st Choice (Natural State): Grass-fed beef
2nd Choice (Somewhat Processed): Grain-fed beef

Chicken
1st Choice (Natural State): Fresh chicken breasts
2nd Choice (Somewhat Processed): Deli sliced chicken
Limit (Highly Processed): Chicken nuggets

Eggs
1st Choice (Natural State): Pasture-raised eggs
2nd Choice (Somewhat Processed): Omega-3-fortified eggs
Limit (Highly Processed): Egg beaters

Yogurt
1st Choice (Natural State): Plain yogurt
2nd Choice (Somewhat Processed): Flavored yogurt
Limit (Highly Processed): Flavored yogurt drink

Soy
1st Choice (Natural State): Fresh edamame (whole soybeans)
2nd Choice (Somewhat Processed): Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment